Sunday, December 6, 2009

Prepping and Strong Women

A few years ago when I thought....I want to be a prepper.....that I would become one....It is my opinion now that I've studied foods, food storage and food preservation that prepping is not a hobby....it's a way of life.

Prepping for me is not prepparing for Nuclear Holocuast, Zombie land, or militia uprisings.  Heck I didn't even know what a zombie was until 3 years ago. (I can't believe people really believe in zombies, but whatever) nor do I believe in Soylent Green situations.  So what in the world would make me wanna be a prepper?

I look at all the women in my life: my mom, her mom, her sister,  her aunties...wow were they strong women!  Not so much physically although they had all done their fair share of picking cotton!  They were women who had an inner strength that still continues to amaze me.

They were depression era women and as I look at our own economy I began to question if I had the same kind of determination and inner strength that all the women in my life had.  And quite frankly I was sure I did not.  I wrote a list of all the things that they did that I admired.  It was my admiration list.  A recurring trait that all of these women had were: good cooks, good gardeners, good food preservationists, creative cooking, thriftiness and frugality, a sense of style, wonderful housekeepers,  a terrific sense of humor, and the ability to be good and dear friends to their communities.


The only thing that I knew that I could do out of that list was:  I have a great sense of humor and I was a good friend who was reliable.


Aaaack!  that's a little disheartening when it was all put into black and white. 

Now while I'm not a BAD cook, I didn't consider myself an above average cook.  I had never seriously gardened.  The odd tomato or squash plant did not count as serious gardening.  I didn't know how to can or make jams and jelly, heck I didn't even know how to make pickles.  Well and for being a creative cook....NOT! nor was I thrifty or frugal.  Style....I had none when it comes to home decoration. Housekeeping?....a drudgery....but a necessary evil.


So since I am an avid student and research oriented person, I set out on my journey.  To become an above average cook...one must practice.  Creative cooking will come.  I've also learned to do a OAMC (Once a Month Cooking) that I practice in the fall/winter.  It sure is nice to take something outta the freezer everyday and not wonder what I'll have for supper....but that's a whole other post topic.


I planted a garden and had a blast.  I loved it so much I enlarged my garden.  I loved that so much that  I enlarged it once more! 

And things that have come out of my garden I learned to preserve in some way.  Dehydrating has changed my life and the things that I keep in my well stocked pantry.  It's fun, and almost magical.  I learned to make jams and jelly and I can make pickles taste just like my grandmas garlic pickles.


I've learned to be thriftier and frugality has not been too painful.  It's been a challenge and I think I've done well.


As for style....it's a work in progress...some paint, rearranging of things I already owned with a few new things (that I bought with a 40% coupon)....I'm coming along..


All this being said, I think gosh am I a prepper? Were my aunties and grandma really preppers?  Not in the same way as we would consider modern preppers.  But, they were prepared.  Was their life hard during the depression?  You betcha!  Do I think we will have another depression of some kind?  You betcha!


Will I have enough food? or skills to make it through tough times?  You betcha.  It's my job to carry on the family tradition of a strong woman.


I set this blog up originally for friends and family.  If you are reading this, you are in one of those categories.  I hope to be of encouragement to you in some way.  Will all my posts be about prepping?  No probably not....but I hope you will know that prepping is another word (at least in my vocabulary) is LIVING.

2 comments: